Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A sandwich truth

Untitled

In my 30-plus years on this earth, I have spoken lies and believed untruths. But I say this to you now believing, knowing it to be so: you can't go wrong with a bacon sandwich.

Bacon really needs no introduction; if you have been paying any attention over the past two years, you'd know you'd have a hard time escaping it, what with all the bacon-infused this and bacon-flavoured that on the market. I'm tired of that, but I'm not blaming bacon for its ubiquity. Bacon's done nothing but be delicious.

Alas, if the newspaper is to be believed, we may be heading into a period of of bacon scarcity as rising commodities prices threaten to deal the global pork industry a body blow. Best to get your bacon while its hot.

In this sandwich, one of those impromptu "it's-Friday-I-don't-want-pizza-but-I-don't-wanna-cook" creations, thick-cut slices of bacon cede the starring role to a surprisingly punchy tomato jam, a spot of balsamic-flavoured mayo, caramelized onions and fresh arugula. I'm including only the recipe for the jam here because it's really easy and well worth a go. I'm confident, dear reader, that you can figure out how to cook bacon and assemble a sandwich all on your own. I believe in you.

Tomato jam adapted from Gourmet)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup (scant) finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft and translucent, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with juice, vinegar, sugar, thyme, salt, and black pepper.

Reduce heat to low and cook until almost all liquid evaporates and mixture is reduced, stirring occasionally, about 30-40 minutes. Cool and serve.

1 comment: